Thursday, February 7, 2013

Finding Recipes

I absolutely LOVE browsing through cookbooks for ideas. I am horrible at following recipes (just ask Scott how many times in the last month a story has started with "So, I didn't quite read the entire recipe, but...."), but my experiments usually turn out pretty good! Here are some of my current loves when it comes to vegan cookbooks: 

Veganomicon by Terry Hope Romero and Isa Chandra Moskowitz

If you get one vegan cookbook, it should be this one. The recipe descriptions are detailed, witty, and so much fun to read. And the number of recipes in just one book is incredible! Not many pretty pictures, but is that really necessary when you're just going to devour what you make anyways?? 

Vegan Eats World by Terry Hope Romero

This was a birthday present from Scott, and I LOVE it. The recipes are entirely unique, and you can easily travel the globe with just your taste buds when you make anything from this cookbook. There are some obscure ingredients (Berbere spice, anyone?), but it's worth seeking them out for the yummy results. I am still dreaming of the Flourless Mexican Chocolate Torte that I made last weekend. 

I also get a lot of my recipe ideas from Facebook and browsing around on blogs. Here are some of the blogs I'm loving right now: 

Fork and Beans

A great gluten, egg, and dairy-free blog. Not a vegan specific blog, but most of the recipes are vegan or can easily be made vegan. 

Manifest Vegan

Dedicated to both gluten-free and vegan recipes, this is a great blog. I also have Allyson Kramer's cookbook, which is incredible. Her recipe for macaroni and cheese is amazing! 

Forks over Knives

This is a great site during the holidays, when they typically suggest multiple recipes that pair well together. 

The plan is to post a recipe idea or review at least once a week. I am always trying new recipes, but they don't always quite turn out, especially with the added challenge of high altitude cooking and baking. So, check back for some delicious ideas soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment